Light Warriors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

~ *Evolutionary Souls* ~

HomeLight WarriorsLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Happy Face spidey

Go down 
+3
Solane Star
MoonChild
l1l1th
7 posters
AuthorMessage
l1l1th
Hierophant
Hierophant
l1l1th

Happy Face spidey Empty
PostSubject: Happy Face spidey   Happy Face spidey EmptyThu May 21, 2009 3:23 am

... It's nicknamed the Happy Face Spider and it really DOES kinda make you smile. It's such a cool spidey I just had to share cool

Happy Face Spider Makes Scientists Smile

Happy Face spidey 15267817

Scientists studying this tiny creature couldn't help but smile when they noticed markings which looked just like a happy face.

But life is no laughing matter for the harmless spider, whose scientific name is Theridion grallator, because it faces the threat of extinction.

Researchers believe it developed the unique patterns on its abdomen as a way of protecting itself from predators.

Dr Geoff Oxford, a spider expert from the University of York, said: "I must admit when I turned over the first leaf and saw one it certainly brought a smile to my face.

"There are various theories as to why the spider has developed the markings it has, one of these that it may be to confuse predators.

"When a bird or other predator first sees a prey item it has not seen before there is a moment before it decides whether to eat it or not.

"It may be that this spider has developed these variations to take advantage of this, in the moment the predator is deciding if it is food it may have the chance to escape.

"I don't think the smiling face is enough to put off a bird though, but it would be nice to think so.

"Not all happy-face spiders have such striking markings, and some are nearly all orange or all blue."

The spider is found only on the islands of Oahu, Molokai, Maui, and Hawaii in the Pacific Ocean but is under threat from non-native animals.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
MoonChild

Happy Face spidey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy Face spidey   Happy Face spidey EmptyThu May 21, 2009 3:54 am

Awesome, just awesome! I love spiders!
Back to top Go down
Solane Star
Solane Star

Happy Face spidey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy Face spidey   Happy Face spidey EmptyThu May 21, 2009 6:20 am

Thank-You for sharing your HAPPY Face Spidey with US !! !!

Thats GREAT big grin blu wink cool
Back to top Go down
Blue Water
Blue Water

Happy Face spidey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy Face spidey   Happy Face spidey EmptyThu May 21, 2009 6:35 am

I presumed it was a plastic spider. Then I read that it was being studied. Presumed then it was a hoax. Saw that it was not, it was in fact a real spider. They can see it "resembles a happy face" all they want but I know a happy face when I see one. blu wink
Back to top Go down
simmy
Magician
Magician
simmy

Happy Face spidey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy Face spidey   Happy Face spidey EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 9:03 am

lol i thought somone painted it with nail polish! What a spin out, i must google him and take a look at more of them...awesome!
Back to top Go down
Goth~Ink
Administrator
Administrator
Goth~Ink

Happy Face spidey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy Face spidey   Happy Face spidey EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 11:30 am

What a beautiful little critter big grin Geez, I hope it isn't dying out because it resembles happiness...that doesn't speak too well for the rest of us does it? Shocked scratch
Back to top Go down
Night Star
Night Star

Happy Face spidey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy Face spidey   Happy Face spidey EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 2:20 pm

Oh no, hope they arn't from around here, I tend to freak out and kill spiders. no way
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Happy Face spidey Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy Face spidey   Happy Face spidey Empty

Back to top Go down

Happy Face spidey
Page 1 of 1