Light Warriors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

~ *Evolutionary Souls* ~

HomeLight WarriorsLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

From Stroke to Orange Belt in 90 days

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Humaren
Magician
Magician
Humaren

From Stroke to Orange Belt in 90 days Empty
PostSubject: From Stroke to Orange Belt in 90 days   From Stroke to Orange Belt in 90 days EmptyThu May 13, 2010 10:05 pm

From Stroke to Orange Belt in 90 days Orange4a

As some of you know I had a stroke at 6am November 27, 2009, and it was a pretty good one. It was strong enough that I lost the use of my left side. I felt nothing from the left side of my face to my toes. I couldn’t walk because I couldn’t feel or move my leg, I couldn’t pick up my arm and therefore anything with it, motor function in my left hand was at about 2%, and I could barely talk.

Then came the therapy - physical, occupational, and speech. At $100 per 1 hour session. Something none of us can afford these days, ( and they wanted me to do 4 hours a week and I don’t have insurance!). Well, they showed me some good things to get started on, but also some things that had little or no function in day to day reality. Therapy of this sort ended quickly.

Within the first week and a half many functions started to return. Being able to move my leg and arm, and some of the motor function of my hand. I still couldn’t walk without dragging my leg, and picking up items without dropping them took longer.

So I turned to a different form of therapy. Yoshiki Karate with Master Dan Mole of the Chiefland Florida Dojo. With his instruction and the help of his advanced students, as well as the aid of my step son Christopher. Katas and exercises were developed for me to maximize my recovery.

90 days after my stroke I tested for my orange belt. No special treatment or concessions were made for me during the testing, and I was to pass or fail the same as those I tested with. As you can see by the photos, I passed.

I can’t say that this form of therapy would work with all stroke victims. Each case is different as each person is. I only know that it worked for me.

I can now walk as well as I did prior to the stroke, and the functionality of my left arm and hand are back as well. With the added advantage that I can now flip someone with an arm that in November I couldn’t use. mr green

From Stroke to Orange Belt in 90 days Orange1a

From Stroke to Orange Belt in 90 days Orange2a

From Stroke to Orange Belt in 90 days Orange3a

cool
Back to top Go down
Goth~Ink
Administrator
Administrator
Goth~Ink

PostSubject: Re: From Stroke to Orange Belt in 90 days   From Stroke to Orange Belt in 90 days EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 7:59 pm

hands clapping luv congrats

(First let me say I am so sorry I missed this when you first posted it Jim blush ).

I am so proud of you! Thank you for sharing your progress with us. Wow, I cannot believe what you have achieved - well actually I can because you have an amazing 'never give up' spirit. You look so fit and healthy in the photos and more importantly - HAPPY!!! I would never have guessed that this sort of activity could help stroke sufferers regain their quality of life the way it has for you. I'm impressed and amazed. Do you still go to it? Have you moved any higher up with the belts?

You go mate!!! Reach for the stars!!! woot
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
MoonChild

PostSubject: Re: From Stroke to Orange Belt in 90 days   From Stroke to Orange Belt in 90 days EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 9:39 pm

The Power of Will. good luck muahahaha bravo
Back to top Go down
Solane Star
Solane Star

PostSubject: Re: From Stroke to Orange Belt in 90 days   From Stroke to Orange Belt in 90 days EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 2:03 pm

WOW, A man of many amazing defeats, how awesome & UP-lifting is that !! !! big hug hands clapping

Back to top Go down
Humaren
Magician
Magician
Humaren

PostSubject: Re: From Stroke to Orange Belt in 90 days   From Stroke to Orange Belt in 90 days EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 12:29 pm

Thank you everyone!

And no worries Goth it happens cool

Thank you for the compliments Goth, and it was a very happy point in my life. Having the stroke and losing functionality is very upsetting and scary. Receiving that belt from Master Dan made me feel unbelievable and complete again. I am still not 100%, but I continue to work at it.

Unfortunately, do to financial wows, I have had to stop attending classes and haven’t moved up any further. I am hopping to be back at it in about a month. cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: From Stroke to Orange Belt in 90 days   From Stroke to Orange Belt in 90 days Empty

Back to top Go down

From Stroke to Orange Belt in 90 days
Page 1 of 1