Light Warriors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

~ *Evolutionary Souls* ~

HomeLight WarriorsLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Art of Richard H. Fay

Go down 
+5
l1l1th
Goth~Ink
The Virus
Night Star
RHFay
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
RHFay
Light Warrior
Light Warrior
RHFay

The Art of Richard H. Fay Empty
PostSubject: Midgard Serpent   The Art of Richard H. Fay EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 1:47 pm

What? No art? Gotta post some art, so here we go:

The Art of Richard H. Fay L_1f010bbd8b144b7d980e4a13d75c1f8c
Copyright ©️ 2009 Richard H. Fay

This is one of the pieces I created for the Abandoned Towers/Cyberwizard Productions divider/clip art. It is based on a 17th century Icelandic depiction of the "World Serpent" of Scandinavian mythology. However, I left out the front legs shown in the Icelandic original, to give it a more serpentine look.

Last edited by RHFay on Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RHFay
Light Warrior
Light Warrior
RHFay

PostSubject: Entwined Serpents   The Art of Richard H. Fay EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 1:53 pm

Entwined Serpents:
The Art of Richard H. Fay L_bfdaa178977b47d78e97c0c4a8a8feb6

This piece, one of the first I did for my second batch of Abandoned Towers/Cyberwizard Productions divider art, isn't based on any particular historical design. I just wanted to do something original with a bit of a historical, almost Celtic feel. Plus, since the editor wanted long and narrow designs, I figured serpents would work.

Last edited by RHFay on Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Night Star
Night Star

PostSubject: Re: The Art of Richard H. Fay   The Art of Richard H. Fay EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 2:02 pm

Oh nice work RH. It does indeed have that celtic touch. Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
RHFay
Light Warrior
Light Warrior
RHFay

PostSubject: Re: The Art of Richard H. Fay   The Art of Richard H. Fay EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 2:06 pm

Thanks!

Part of me worried that hoping the drawing had a Celtic touch was simply wishful thinking.
Back to top Go down
Night Star
Night Star

PostSubject: Re: The Art of Richard H. Fay   The Art of Richard H. Fay EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 2:18 pm

Very creative! sun Man, you come up with the coolest stuff!
Back to top Go down
The Virus
The Virus

PostSubject: Re: The Art of Richard H. Fay   The Art of Richard H. Fay EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 9:02 pm

Nice, man. You're a great artist! But I think it's more of a Nordic/Viking touch than Celtic. That's just my humble opinion of course. blu wink
Back to top Go down
Goth~Ink
Administrator
Administrator
Goth~Ink

PostSubject: Re: The Art of Richard H. Fay   The Art of Richard H. Fay EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 9:12 pm

It reminds me of rope, DNA, licorice and yes a Nordic feel too. Interesting design Richard - would look so good on a bookmark blu wink
Back to top Go down
Goth~Ink
Administrator
Administrator
Goth~Ink

PostSubject: Re: The Art of Richard H. Fay   The Art of Richard H. Fay EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 9:19 pm

A legless dragon no less! I am with Night Star on this one - your imagination is a fascinating place to visit Richard. This illustration just proves it bravo
Back to top Go down
l1l1th
Hierophant
Hierophant
l1l1th

PostSubject: Re: The Art of Richard H. Fay   The Art of Richard H. Fay EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 11:58 pm

ah our good friend the cosmic serpent cheesygrin

... double helix DNA, intelligence, human consciousness, evolution

Nice work! I want a bookmark!
Back to top Go down
RHFay
Light Warrior
Light Warrior
RHFay

PostSubject: Re: The Art of Richard H. Fay   The Art of Richard H. Fay EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 2:33 am

Celtic, Nordic, medieval, whatever. I think the design is general enough that each individual viewer can apply their own historic or cultural interpretation to the image. I tried to do the serpent's heads like heads I saw in a how-to book of Celtic knotwork, but otherwise the design is not necessarily linked to any one influence.

I actually used to sell bookmarks of my art when I attended the local medieval fair as a vendor. I haven't done that in a while.

This design would look neat on a bookmark. I may have to suggest that to Crystalwizard, and see if she could whip up just such a thing for the Abandoned Towers Zazzle Store.

DNA double helix, eh? I wonder if I was subconsciously influenced by my previous incarnation as a biology lab tech!
Back to top Go down
RHFay
Light Warrior
Light Warrior
RHFay

PostSubject: Re: The Art of Richard H. Fay   The Art of Richard H. Fay EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 2:42 am

I must admit, this design follows the historic illustration pretty closely. I just adapted it slightly for my own uses. The beast already looked pretty monstrous in the original, so I just drew my own version of it.

By the way, some dragons were indeed legless. The Lambton Worm, in some renditions of the tale, is one example:
http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/england/durham/legends/the-lambton-worm-and-penshaw-hill.html

The feathered serpents of mythology are another type of legless dragon.

Other dragons, like the wyvern, have only one pair of legs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyvern
Back to top Go down
Goth~Ink
Administrator
Administrator
Goth~Ink

PostSubject: Re: The Art of Richard H. Fay   The Art of Richard H. Fay EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 5:52 am

And you do this for a job?? Wow, what a great profession. Wandering through myths and legends, drawing inspiration and then translating them into your own words and illustrations. Could it get any better than that?
Back to top Go down
RHFay
Light Warrior
Light Warrior
RHFay

PostSubject: Re: The Art of Richard H. Fay   The Art of Richard H. Fay EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 6:59 am

I could get paid a lot more. I wouldn't say it pays the bills. Not yet, anyway.
Back to top Go down
Humaren
Magician
Magician
Humaren

PostSubject: Re: The Art of Richard H. Fay   The Art of Richard H. Fay EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 9:20 am

Nicely done R.H. clap
Back to top Go down
Humaren
Magician
Magician
Humaren

PostSubject: Re: The Art of Richard H. Fay   The Art of Richard H. Fay EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 9:30 am

It would also make a great Tatoo.
Back to top Go down
harmonygirl
Magician
Magician
harmonygirl

PostSubject: Re: The Art of Richard H. Fay   The Art of Richard H. Fay EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 10:51 am

I really like this. The balance is beautiful. The colours calming with a hint of warmth with the yellow. I love it!!
Back to top Go down
harmonygirl
Magician
Magician
harmonygirl

PostSubject: Re: The Art of Richard H. Fay   The Art of Richard H. Fay EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 10:54 am

This one too is great. Being an artist myself, I know how hard it is to make a living doing the art that you love. Keep on trying, you are good.
Back to top Go down
RHFay
Light Warrior
Light Warrior
RHFay

PostSubject: Re: The Art of Richard H. Fay   The Art of Richard H. Fay EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 1:53 am

Humaren wrote:
It would also make a great Tatoo.

Probably.
Back to top Go down
RHFay
Light Warrior
Light Warrior
RHFay

PostSubject: Re: The Art of Richard H. Fay   The Art of Richard H. Fay EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 1:57 am

harmonygirl wrote:
I really like this. The balance is beautiful. The colours calming with a hint of warmth with the yellow. I love it!!

Thanks!

I apparently had impressive compositional skills at an early age, at least according to what some teachers stated. One claimed that, as an artistically precocious seven year old, I understood certain compositional concepts better than many adults! Thankfully those inherent skills have stayed with me over the years.
Back to top Go down
RHFay
Light Warrior
Light Warrior
RHFay

PostSubject: Re: The Art of Richard H. Fay   The Art of Richard H. Fay EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 7:40 am

harmonygirl wrote:
This one too is great. Being an artist myself, I know how hard it is to make a living doing the art that you love. Keep on trying, you are good.

Thanks!

As long as I have steady work, I'm happy. And the publisher/editor Crystalwizard keeps throwing work my way, so I'm in no danger of being bored any time soon.
Back to top Go down
RHFay
Light Warrior
Light Warrior
RHFay

PostSubject: Re: The Art of Richard H. Fay   The Art of Richard H. Fay EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 7:40 am

Humaren wrote:
Nicely done R.H. clap

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
RHFay
Light Warrior
Light Warrior
RHFay

PostSubject: Celtic Shield and Spears   The Art of Richard H. Fay EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 8:02 am

The Art of Richard H. Fay L_c856e908318b41aaa325030af8b382c8

Celtic Shield and Spears
by Richard H. Fay
Pitt artist's pens on bristol board, digitally manipulated and coloured.

This design combines an ancient Celtic-style shield with two different types of Celtic-style spear. I based the shield design on Celtic-style shields depicted on the Arc de Triomphe, Orange (Vaucluse, France).

In case you were wondering why I state that certain images were digitally manipulated, it's because I've used the wonders of digital image manipulation to duplicate certain details in my art. For instance, instead of drawing two sets of spears, I drew only one and then used the copy, paste, and flip functions to add in the mirror image.
Back to top Go down
RHFay
Light Warrior
Light Warrior
RHFay

PostSubject: Poleaxes and Shield   The Art of Richard H. Fay EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 8:05 am

The Art of Richard H. Fay L_7d6995dbd25d4ba69026fc48e78f0a11

Poleaxes and Shield
by Richard H. Fay

This design combines a medieval heater-shaped shield displaying a tower charge with a pair of late medieval poleaxes.

Last edited by RHFay on Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RHFay
Light Warrior
Light Warrior
RHFay

PostSubject: Blobby the Alien   The Art of Richard H. Fay EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 8:07 am

The Art of Richard H. Fay L_78cecb9ed9794155808eb3f32dd93c7a

Blobby the Alien
by Richard H. Fay

When I was a high school kid twenty plus years ago, I used to draw stuff like Blobby all the time. Now I rarely find myself drawing aliens; most of my more recent art features fantastic and surreal scenes, knights and dragons, arms and armour, and creatures and critters from folklore. It was nice to draw wildly weird aliens again.

Blobby is meant to be a sort of "plantimal", a monstrous mixture of plant and animal. And his blobby appearance and name were inspired by the "get all blobby" card in Munchkin Cthulhu. The Munchkin card games may be quite silly, but they can be fun. And the art is a riot!

Of course, Blobby's intertwined tentacles and tendrils were meant to mix in a little medieval with the sci fi. I can't help myself; medieval art is in my blood!

Last edited by RHFay on Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RHFay
Light Warrior
Light Warrior
RHFay

PostSubject: Retrorocket   The Art of Richard H. Fay EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 8:12 am

The Art of Richard H. Fay L_7e41ecc3440d4dfab0d78d71c160c2e6

Retrorocket
by Richard H. Fay
Pitt artist's pens on bristol board, digitally coloured.

My "Retrorocket" is one of the two science-fiction (or perhaps sci-fi) themed drawings I composed for the Abandoned Towers/Cyberwizard Productions divider/clip art. After creating a bunch of historical and historically-inspired designs, I wanted to do one or two more "futuristic" pieces.

I call this one "Retrorocket" because I feel is has a "retro" look to it (retro with a twist). To me, it looks like a rocket one would see illustrating classic science fiction. And yes, I did deliberately throw in a little "fighter jet" for good measure!

By the way, a lot of people seem to be particularly impressed by the flames in this one. I was worried that intertwined flames might look strange, but I guess I worried over nothing. I tend to do that.

Last edited by RHFay on Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Art of Richard H. Fay   The Art of Richard H. Fay Empty

Back to top Go down

The Art of Richard H. Fay
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Light Warriors :: LW Community :: Scrapbook-
Jump to: