Light Warriors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

~ *Evolutionary Souls* ~

HomeLight WarriorsLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Brutality of the Publication World as an Excuse

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
RHFay
Light Warrior
Light Warrior
RHFay

The Brutality of the Publication World as an Excuse Empty
PostSubject: The Brutality of the Publication World as an Excuse   The Brutality of the Publication World as an Excuse EmptyTue May 19, 2009 10:53 am

If I read one more comment citing the inherent emotional brutality of the publication world as an excuse for bad behaviour, childish antics, and gross obnoxiousness, I'm going to lose what little patience I have left.

The field is chock full of rejection and heartache. Criticism is all part of the process. I get that already; I wasn't born yesterday! However, belittling others to stroke your own overinflated ego is in no way, shape, or form a type of even remotely constructive criticism. Put downs and name calling need not be a part of the game. As a matter of fact, when talking about the realm of the supposed professionals, it shouldn't be.
Back to top Go down
Night Star
Night Star

PostSubject: Re: The Brutality of the Publication World as an Excuse   The Brutality of the Publication World as an Excuse EmptyTue May 19, 2009 10:43 pm

Sorry you are upset dear artist/poet friend. I don't know what was said to you exactly, but I'm sure you had a reply for him/her. It is annoying when people belittle others in order to inflate their own egos. So just keep in mind that they perhaps lack their own confidence and don't take it so personally. Yeah I know, easier said than done. Is this someone who you have to deal with often?
Back to top Go down
RHFay
Light Warrior
Light Warrior
RHFay

PostSubject: Re: The Brutality of the Publication World as an Excuse   The Brutality of the Publication World as an Excuse EmptyWed May 20, 2009 1:22 am

Well, I have had previous run-ins with one of the individuals who act in this manner. The person in question happens to be something of a respected and fairly successful figure in the realm of genre publications, so he truly has no need to inflate his own ego by belittling others. However, he displays a constant pattern of disrespecting any he sees as beneath him, any he sees as less-than-pro. And when things like "wannabe", "tyro", "your work is all derivative", "idiot", "dope", "simpleton", "boob", and "you'll never make it in a competitive field" are thrown around as a matter of course, then it becomes pretty obvious pretty quickly that the man's obnoxious negativity goes way beyond mere literary criticism.

This individual is acknowledged by some as a jerk, that it's all part of his shtick. However, it annoys me to no end that he still has fawning followers, that he still earns the respect of other writers simply because of his apparent successes, and despite his repeated bad behaviour. It almost justifies such behaviour, and that might sicken me even more than the behaviour itself.

What is this saying about the field of genre publication? Is this the sort of face they want to present to the world?

Fortunately, I do not have to deal with the individual in question anywhere outside of the realm of blogs. He and I may never cross paths professionally (although we've crossed paths on blogs more than once), and that's fine by me! I can't imagine he could ever be objective about my work anyway; his complete dismissal of my abilities as a poet and artist indicate a gross lack of objectivity. Yes, he's even made nasty comments regarding my chances of continued art publication, even though I've stated that I currently have several requested art projects in the works.

I should just ignore him, since he is obviously trying to bait me, but the fact that he is respected, and the fact that I've encountered similar weird and often obnoxious behaviour from certain others in the field, nags at my mind. It bothers me, and I think I have good reason to be bothered.
Back to top Go down
Blue Water
Blue Water

PostSubject: Re: The Brutality of the Publication World as an Excuse   The Brutality of the Publication World as an Excuse EmptyWed May 20, 2009 5:34 am

RHFay wrote:
If I read one more comment citing the inherent emotional brutality of the publication world as an excuse for bad behaviour, childish antics, and gross obnoxiousness, I'm going to lose what little patience I have left.

The field is chock full of rejection and heartache. Criticism is all part of the process. I get that already; I wasn't born yesterday! However, belittling others to stroke your own overinflated ego is in no way, shape, or form a type of even remotely constructive criticism. Put downs and name calling need not be a part of the game. As a matter of fact, when talking about the realm of the supposed professionals, it shouldn't be.

I know exactly what you mean here. I have encountered whole groups of writers online with those big, bruised egos who call you "stupid" for believing that you can get published and "arrogant" for believing you will. I call those sites "negative vacuums" because they seem to be designed to suck in as many people as possible under their negativity. It's like, we're negative and down so let's bring everyone else down here with us. No thank you, I believe in a positive mindset. I don't see where negative thinking will benefit.

Yeah just ignore him. Life's too short to put up with jerks like that. It's the exact same mentality is that kid who first gets on top of a snow hill and boasts, "I'm the King of the Castle, and you're..." Well, they seldom say "rascal." It's done jokingly, but they like feeling superior. It's a pathetically childish attitude unbecoming of any adult, and I have little respect or time for people like that.
Back to top Go down
RHFay
Light Warrior
Light Warrior
RHFay

PostSubject: Re: The Brutality of the Publication World as an Excuse   The Brutality of the Publication World as an Excuse EmptyWed May 20, 2009 8:35 am

Blue Water wrote:

...and I have little respect or time for people like that.

Same here.

Funny thing is, it's not a question of if I can get published, or if I will get published. My work has been published, in many different venues, both print and on-line, paying and "4 the luv", even some "best of" anthologies. And yet, this still isn't enough to get much respect from certain corners, because it's not at a high-enough level (fanzine and semi-pro versus pro), or for a high-enough dollar amount, or even the "proper type" of writing (poetry versus fiction).

There is no winning with certain people. And it's hard for me to respect such disrespectful individuals. As a matter of fact, it disgusts me!
Back to top Go down
Goth~Ink
Administrator
Administrator
Goth~Ink

PostSubject: Re: The Brutality of the Publication World as an Excuse   The Brutality of the Publication World as an Excuse EmptyWed May 20, 2009 8:52 am

It's not isolated to the publishing industry sorry to say. Some people just don't know how to use their common sense and express themselves politely. It seems to become worse when these people are put in positions where they perceive themselves as having power over others. No
Back to top Go down
Blue Water
Blue Water

PostSubject: Re: The Brutality of the Publication World as an Excuse   The Brutality of the Publication World as an Excuse EmptyThu May 21, 2009 6:27 am

Yes, it's a competitive mindset. We discussed this subject recently, Goth. How did you describe the philosophy behind it? "Evolutionary survival," or something; kill or be killed. How some people will do anything to feel superior to others; special. It's ironic, because writers are supposed to be about the truth. Many are more business-minded than artistic, and more ego-centred than they are soothsayers. But then others are very down-to-Earth and quite pleasant.
Back to top Go down
TheGreatWhiteBuffalo
Light Warrior
Light Warrior

PostSubject: Re: The Brutality of the Publication World as an Excuse   The Brutality of the Publication World as an Excuse EmptySat Jun 06, 2009 1:08 am

It is funny how the influence of others can bring down some people while we see the revelation of a person who is crazy, or 'high on power' and full of madness, trying to control others.

I don't know if I tried, that I could even scratch the surface, to compile a list of such personalities that I've come across in my little world and realm of experiences.

'They' are those bridge burners on that side of the bridge, I can't feel sorry for them they have chosen their path, but clearly I see that lying and negatively abusing others leads to a well described and predetermined future forever. I don't like when people lie to me or about me so I work hard to be honest towards others. The world is full of crazy people, I don't have to participate in their behaviors and the examples that I've experienced.

I know how I want to be treated and that is how I should treat others, until they give me cause to find other ways to treat them. If I have to use another method it still will not compromise my personal morals and expectations. I'll expose the wrongs to the best of my ability.

Hmmmm? Radio Times about Politics in Pennsylvania? Hmmmm?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Brutality of the Publication World as an Excuse   The Brutality of the Publication World as an Excuse Empty

Back to top Go down

The Brutality of the Publication World as an Excuse
Page 1 of 1