Light Warriors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

~ *Evolutionary Souls* ~

HomeLight WarriorsLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Jewelry Making Frustrations

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Night Star
Night Star

Jewelry Making Frustrations Empty
PostSubject: Jewelry Making Frustrations   Jewelry Making Frustrations EmptySat May 02, 2009 6:59 am

I had a certain design in mind for a necklace and it didn't work out. sad cry It was supposed to incorporate a flat focal leaf made of shell, some round beads, some other flat shell shapes, fairies etc. Well, I needed jump rings for the flat pieces and fairies so they would hang right, but no matter how close I pinched the jump ring, the thread was so thin that it would slide right through the space in the ring. I mean, you couldn't even see the space! wall Grrrrrr!

Then I go to make a bracelet and it could have come out very pretty but I neede a certain kind of bead cap to make it look awesome, so I shelved that idea until I can get the supplies I need. I need other beads as well. So...until I get everything I need, I will just make earings for now. LOL And here I was feeling so creative. hissyfit
Back to top Go down
Blue Water
Blue Water

PostSubject: Re: Jewelry Making Frustrations   Jewelry Making Frustrations EmptySat May 02, 2009 7:03 am

Sorry to hear that. I know it's aggravating when you feel up to a creative product and then something's missing.

Can't waitt to see the result when you do get everything you need.
Back to top Go down
GemLover
Light Warrior
Light Warrior
GemLover

PostSubject: Re: Jewelry Making Frustrations   Jewelry Making Frustrations EmptySat May 02, 2009 2:46 pm

Aw, yeah that is aggravating. I have a feeling that once you do have exactly what you need, you'll be glad you had to wait because your jewellery will turn out even better. I've got some ideas too, but my budget's just not running to jewellery-making at the moment; I want to use gemstones and that can get kinda expensive. It cost $30 NZ to make the ankle bracelet that was shown to me in my dream... it's all turquoise and tiger's eye beads... it's priceless to me, but I did have to have an extra $30 that week so I could go and make it! I keep seeing a citrine bracelet in my head and I really want to make it - but no can do until I have a little more spare cash!
Back to top Go down
Night Star
Night Star

PostSubject: Re: Jewelry Making Frustrations   Jewelry Making Frustrations EmptySat May 02, 2009 6:21 pm

Oh I know that gemstones can be expensive!!! Though...if you look long and hard enough on e-bay you just might hit a heck of a bargain! I got a lot of real bargains from there. Gold plated bead caps 500 for a few bucks, gorgeous lampwork glass beads, silver plated and gold plated earwires etc. Really cheap!! pinkheart I will be making wire wrapped sea glass soon. I had made a necklace for my Mom and Sister one year and they got sooooo many compliments. That made me so happy. They loved their necklaces. I did make a couple of bracelets and a couple of pairs of earings so far.

I have been working at my Mom's kitchen table. It gives me a chance to visit and talk. She chuckles at how long it takes me to design just one piece. I'll have my beads and crystals layed out in a certain way then I'll re-arrange them
add something, take something else away. LOL

I love putting the jewelry in a little organza bag that gathers at the top, then put it in a box and add a ribbon and a dried rosebud and babies breath. Nice presentation!

Might do some indian beadweavng as well. I really need to nurture my creative side right now because come November, (right before the holidays and high hesting bills of winter), I will have exhausted my un-employment benefits. Very nervous and depresed sometimes. This will avert my attention to something positive.

I hope you are able to make your jewelry soon Gem. huggz I was very lucky that I purchased a lot of beads in the past so I have a lot to work with now.
Back to top Go down
Goth~Ink
Administrator
Administrator
Goth~Ink

PostSubject: Re: Jewelry Making Frustrations   Jewelry Making Frustrations EmptySat May 02, 2009 8:11 pm

Geewhiz, sorry to hear of your frustrations girls. I just donated a heap of my handmade crystal pendants and bracelets to the kids' school for their Mother's Day stall. I haven't made jewellery in ages. Right now I am knitting a jumper for my little doggy cos he is shivering with the cooler nights. I am also back to drawing. Oh, and writing...yup, first time in ages I picked up a pen and let myself write something creative.

I know eBay is a bargain hunters paradise. It seems cheaper than the local craft stores here for jewellery making supplies. Also sometimes local markets are great places for finding gemstone chips done up in long strands that sell for a reasonable price. I don't know if you guys have that sort of thing where you live.

When frustration sets in, walk away and sing - or laugh. But don't let it beat you. Perhaps the break will bring the solution? Would be lovely to see some of your creations posted on here girls (hint hint) blu wink Might inspire us all to be more creative.
Back to top Go down
Night Star
Night Star

PostSubject: Re: Jewelry Making Frustrations   Jewelry Making Frustrations EmptySun May 03, 2009 4:15 pm

Now I have to wait for my imported supplies to come in. I know, I try to purchase from my own country but I often find China way more affordable. One of these days days I will indeed share my photos. Would love to see other people's items as well.

Oh Gem, I was on pages and pages of gorgeous gems! It was so soothing just seeing them!!
Back to top Go down
Night Star
Night Star

PostSubject: Re: Jewelry Making Frustrations   Jewelry Making Frustrations EmptySun May 17, 2009 3:01 pm

Good grief charlie brown! Made a gorgeous bracelet and it fell apart. affraid I realized that I used the wrong thread. I actually threw it away.The thread I mean. I have one that is strong and won't break unless you cut it with it something. Needless to say I'll be re-stringing the bracelet. LOL I bought a length of a fancy chain that I unhooked into small pieces, put crystals and round handmade glass beads and flower beads in between then another piece of chain and the same beads repeated. I made a lovely pair of earings to match. Necklace will be next.
Back to top Go down
Goth~Ink
Administrator
Administrator
Goth~Ink

PostSubject: Re: Jewelry Making Frustrations   Jewelry Making Frustrations EmptyMon May 18, 2009 8:46 am

Oh Nighty! Sorry to hear about the bracelet that fell apart. I have had that happen more than once and it is frustrating. But it sounds like you made a pretty good recovery.
Back to top Go down
GemLover
Light Warrior
Light Warrior
GemLover

PostSubject: Re: Jewelry Making Frustrations   Jewelry Making Frustrations EmptyMon May 18, 2009 4:35 pm

Oh I know the feeling! But it usually works out that you end up making something better - and it sounds like what you did make is beautiful! thumup
Back to top Go down
Night Star
Night Star

PostSubject: Re: Jewelry Making Frustrations   Jewelry Making Frustrations EmptyMon May 18, 2009 6:38 pm

Thanks ladies! I wire -wrapped a couple of pieces of seaglass, and a piece of amethyst. I have so many ideas and so many things to work with that I sit here thinking where do I begin? LOL I made a stretch bracelet with leaf shaped glass beads in an irredecent white/blue-green color, small blue-green bugle beads, smaller silver leaves and clear silver lined beads.

I love the earings I have been making. At the top of one, I made some fancy little loops with wire, then hung a pale pink bicone crystal. Beneath the crystal hangs a freshwater pearl (rice shaped), a few tiny silver seed beads, another bicone crystal, then a small lucite flower with a fresh water pearl dangling from that and one more tiny crystal. They are so delicate and dainty.

One pair has the fancy wire loops, a tibetan silver bead cap over and under a beautiful round floral print lampwork glass bead. Beneath that is a cut glass rondelle, a tiny silver-plated stardust bead, a tiny clear crystal, another tibetan silver bead cap and a pale pink crystal briolette. Gorgeous!

Can't wait to take pics and share these with you!
Back to top Go down
GemLover
Light Warrior
Light Warrior
GemLover

PostSubject: Re: Jewelry Making Frustrations   Jewelry Making Frustrations EmptyMon May 18, 2009 6:43 pm

Wow! I can't wait to see pics of your work, Nightie! big grin
Back to top Go down
Goth~Ink
Administrator
Administrator
Goth~Ink

PostSubject: Re: Jewelry Making Frustrations   Jewelry Making Frustrations EmptyTue May 19, 2009 6:35 am

me too - sounds awesome!
Back to top Go down
Night Star
Night Star

PostSubject: Re: Jewelry Making Frustrations   Jewelry Making Frustrations EmptyThu May 28, 2009 2:59 pm

I spent time outside making a necklace the other day. It has various clear glass beads in different shapes, some small round flat shell charms, some pearl beads and a shell leaf focal bead. The weather has been rainy and dreary, but next nice day, I will be outside in the sunshine and fresh air creating. I came across some mother of pearl heart shaped beads and some awesome focal pieces. I also started a rather artsy/unusual pin made with feathers, a shell and a glass leaf bead. So cool! I want to make more pieces with seagreen and blue seaglass. I have so many ideas. Im getting excited!

OH I brought out my beadweaving supplies! I love working on a small loom with tiny seed beads.

Also will be making various styles of bookmarks. I bought black velvet ribbon and will use tiny beads to do a floral design on. I bought some sheer ribbon and will be hanging beads and charms from those.

Also will work on cards and gift tags.
Back to top Go down
Night Star
Night Star

PostSubject: Re: Jewelry Making Frustrations   Jewelry Making Frustrations EmptyThu May 28, 2009 3:04 pm

Oh, heres a tip if you make anything that requires a jump ring: No matter how tightly closed your jump ring is, always use a glue (one for metal and glass etc.)at that closure point. That way, youre sure your charm won't come loose.

When making a bracelet, necklace or earings, always check carefully as you go along that you have the same amount of certain beads where they belong. I can't tell you how many times I have had to re-string something when I first learned how to make jewlry. wall lol
Back to top Go down
GemLover
Light Warrior
Light Warrior
GemLover

PostSubject: Re: Jewelry Making Frustrations   Jewelry Making Frustrations EmptyThu May 28, 2009 3:35 pm

thumup Cool!

Good tip about the glue - I never thought of that! lol, been there done that too with the re-stringing. blu wink
Back to top Go down
Goth~Ink
Administrator
Administrator
Goth~Ink

PostSubject: Re: Jewelry Making Frustrations   Jewelry Making Frustrations EmptyFri May 29, 2009 8:50 am

Aaaaahhhhh the dreaded get to the last bead and discover back around the third you made a boo-boo.... feint

With winter coming on, I have gone back to crocheting. I am making a blanket for the sofa to snuggle in while watching Sci-Fi channel after the kids go to bed. I love working with wool. Isn't it interesting how craft work like this and jewelery making involve working with natural elements and bring such joy? cheers
Back to top Go down
Night Star
Night Star

PostSubject: Re: Jewelry Making Frustrations   Jewelry Making Frustrations EmptySun May 31, 2009 7:59 am

Our mistakes are neccesary to learn from them. Now when we create something, we'll know better. lol
Yes Goth, crafts and working with natural elements do indeed bring much joy. cheers woot

I'm going to go sit outside for some fresh air and sunshine and bring a projest along.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jewelry Making Frustrations   Jewelry Making Frustrations Empty

Back to top Go down

Jewelry Making Frustrations
Page 1 of 1